After five days of thrilling sailing and four days of shoreside festivities, the 2016 Festival of Sails, presented by Rex Gorell Land Rover, has wrapped up today.
Locals, visitors and tourists came out in their thousands to enjoy all the Festival had to offer, soaking up the atmosphere, enjoying the food and live performances, delivering an estimated $14million to Geelong’s economy.
Here are just some facts and figures that show just how much of a success this year’s event has been:
· Close to 2200 sailors in 285 boats (including 12 cadets) participated in 124 races
· 85 trophies were presented
· 173 volunteers donated more than 6000 hours
· More than 967 lunches were packed by volunteers for race officials, jurors, staff and other volunteers
· More than 600 Gourmet Pies consumed in the regatta village
· 2000 bottles of water kept all volunteers hydrated throughout the Festival
The Royal Geelong Yacht Club would like to thank its major partners for making the 2016 Festival of Sails such a success: Rex Gorell Land Rover, Geelong Connected Communities, the City of Greater Geelong and the Victorian Government.